Monday, November 12, 2007

ME: Now are the days

November 12, 2007 - Monday

Now are the days when I walk out of work, at a time one would consider a reasonable hour, only to find that night has fallen, blackness everywhere, well, except in those small circularly lit locations of street lamps or the square patches left by flashing traffic signs. Now are the days when I must wrap myself in a knitted scarf, bury my hands in my corduroy coat pockets, and move quickly towards my destination, hoping to beat the chill rushing towards my bones. Now are the days when Halloween candy has been replaced by Christmas garland, Santa Claus already appears on Coca-Cola cans, all leaving Thanksgiving in a kind of holiday limbo. And now are the days when I often experience the most loneliness, my faithful companion, when I notice more intently that I am somehow on the outside of the couples and families walking bundled together on the sidewalk, keeping each other safe from the dark and warm in the cold. Now are the days when I listen to Annie Lennox's new album, discovering my own tears coupled with her beautiful moans. And, please don't get me wrong; I'm not feeling sorry for myself, for somehow I relish in this dark emotion, which seems to envelope me and release some necessary cry aloud to announce my existence and a hope for an other in which to wrap myself during these dark, cold, holiday days that are now.