Thursday, November 21, 2002

PREACH LOVE : Racial Slurs

Sent: 11/21/2002 5:18 PM

Performed at the Bowery Poetry Club Open Mic, Spring 2003

"you smoke nigger cigarettes?"
he says, pulling one from my fingertips
excuse me?
he deserved a red hard slap
but so repulsed
i could only laugh
i guess so
no, i know so
i frankly tell him
i have a nigger's soul
his wide blue eyes pop pop
the cracker's in some sort shock
he crumbles: that can't be

sad little cock
my feathers look your flock
and yet my truth
blocked your despicable
disgusting mock
See him reaching for his lock
in order to protect his stock
stupid fuck
just stop
stop
stop
stop
no more


i'm just me
held in a human body
outward colored whitely
enslaved to your reality
where judged harshly by humanity
especially here in the Land of the Free
where the ideal life
is what they dictate it to be
as the powers' majority
determine normality
prescribe what is sanity
segregate spiritualities
all the while maintaining
their own color scheme

furthermore
(on my soap box standing)
they say I'm just a number
unless I'm a gifted in currency
own a lot of worldly property
and have a stellar credit rating
d.) none of which is me

oh
and that's not to mention
preaching to me
the proper penile entry
thinking they have a say
in MY sexuality
no, please
please
please
please


are you sorry asked for a cancer stick?
i'm sorry that you seem like such a dick
your comment just made me so -
ill
for when you went barking
up the wrong tree
all of your deathly neg-ativity
sucked forth some rage
set loose a tangent from its cage
from deep inside me
about all these transgressions
repeating offensively
and, if for nothing else
thanks for reminding me

so, i guess you're of the majority
that obviously doesn't see what I see
through my own movie screen
as it premiers the reality i'm living
day after day after day after day
no matter what you label or say
in fact, why not shout it again loudly
idealistic Chad is crazy
i honestly don't care
for in your world of complexity
i'm still pledging to be
the impassioned simplicity
of just me, just loving
loving
loving
loving


me unconditionally loving
each and all my human kin
anything else is simply sin
it doesn't matter what color skin
or even what lies deep within
your racial slur deeply offends
yet even now you're still my friend
but i'm not going to sit here
and try to pretend
I agree with your bigotry

for truly every single face
in every single place
is equal
closed case
so enough with your competitive race
feel love and believe
God's Given Grace
Grace
Grace
Grace
that splashed into my empty space


yes, this is me, my all
earnestly thin and tall
dancing in my life's ball
with my own many special
stumbles and falls

yep, this is me, my all
my very own unique call
which, to my lungs appall
but just at the moment
happens to involve
menthol