Wednesday, May 26, 2004

WORD : helping anti-helpees

Sent: 5/26/2004 10:18 PM

She was walking down the steps from Low Library when she tripped on her high heel and fell out at the bottom step. Her friend spun round to try to catch her, and when she couldn't, she offered her hand to help her from the concrete. Both of them were shocked by the mishap, and yet the friend pulled the other to her feet, and with a quick turn of the shoe, they were both back standing, laughing, and walking towards their prior destination.

I have offered my hand to a friend as of late. He seems to have fallen and seems to be seeking some help in getting back up, yet no matter how much I plead and beg for him to take my hand, he seems to remain somewhat content in his moaning on the concrete, in his despair in that he has stumbled. He hears my hope. He sees my help. But he refuses it all adamantly. So what does one do when he has a friend in such a circumstance? How long does one wait patiently with his hand outreached to his friend, offering encouragement, offering help, only to find the other so consumed with the scrapes and bruises that he simply ignores any positivity rippling towards him? And truly, it does seem so unfortunate for both of us that when he does reach out his hand to mine, rather than letting me pull him upwards, he feels inclined to pull me towards the ground. It's all too profound.

So you may lie here if you like. I cannot tell for you what is right. Nevertheless, my destination is urgently calling, so I must continue on with my plight. Therefore, please forgive me if I leave you here. I am only human; it is only Christ Who can cease your tears. Realize God will save you from your falling.

And for me, He beckons me to stop my stalling.

So on I must go.