Sunday, May 23, 2004

WORD : loneliness & love in the afternoon

Sent: 5/23/2004 9:17 PM

Today, we marched across the Brooklyn Bridge for Marriage Equality. It was a beautiful day. The sun was beaming through clouds, and the breezes across the river cooled our bodies. Everyone involved was filled with enthusiasm as we waved our signs and banners hoping someone out there would hear our voices, understand, and offer support of our small minority. We laughed and joked along the way, made new friends, and pressed forward to Battery City Park for a small rally where we were greeted by politicians and activists sharing our vision of what true equality really is. As I sat on the grass in the shadow of a large tree, I looked upon the many faces that were there. So many couples holding hands sat across the lawn, and my heart knotted in the lonely realization that I was there fighting for something that I didn’t know if I would ever see in my lifetime. Again I found myself wondering if a relationship would ever be a part of my earthly fortune, as I have remained single for such a long time, my entire life it would seem, except for the few fleeting romances that I have had the happiness of sharing. Yet those romances within the look of time seem mere blinkings of my eyes compared to the cold, long stare of loneliness which seems to never divert its gaze from me. Alas and nevertheless, when again looking at those couples who have found such companionship, such love here, my selfish jealousy took flight, and I passionately felt again why I am committed to this noble cause, for in contrast to my lacking, their finding their loves of lifetimes should absolutely be celebrated and certainly not condemned. For if I was to find such love, no people, society or laws could keep me from declaring it to the world. As that is my hope for me, it remains my hope for all.