Saturday, September 15, 2001

BEGINNINGS : Please, no more violence

Sent: 9/15/2001 6:08 PM

September 14, 2001

President George Bush
The White House
1600 Pennsylvania Avenue
Washington, DC 20500

VIA FACSIMILE: 202-456-2461

Dear President Bush:

‘No more violence.’ These are the words I have been crying since waking on Tuesday morning in my apartment in Queens, New York, as I tripped upon the smell of death lofting from downtown Manhattan. No more violence.

I am filled with a sense of complete isolation from the rest of my country. With empathy, I understand why citizens across America are grave with sadness and anger; however, as a strong country, we have the power to be merciful, a god-like attribute hard to conceive in these moments of intense anger and hatred.

We need to call for a New America. An America that is a great country of sensibility, passion, and mercy. Please help in stopping this swift retaliation that seems the right vindication to so many Americans who are thinking out of anger and despair. Help us be the strong, merciful America, that is slow in its reactions, mature in its decisions, and above all, loving of ALL humanity.

What happened in New York City and Washington D.C. should never happen again, anywhere in the world. I wish this pain I feel on no other global citizen. I want to believe that my country will realize that violence of any kind, “good or evil”, must stop here, with us.

Be strong, feel love, show mercy,

Chad Gurley
A New American
Americans for Global Peace