Monday, January 14, 2002

CHAPTER 2 : Rumblings with Verzion

Sent: 1/14/2002 11:20 AM

---------------------------------------------

January 11, 2002


Mr. Charles R. Lee
Chairman and Co-Chief Executive Officer
Verizon Communications
1095 Avenue of the Americas
36th Floor
New York, NY 10036

RE: Local Service Installation

Dear Mr. Lee:

Verizon has hurt my feelings, for it has been demonstrated that you do not value my time. On December 28, 2001, I made an agreement with you to wait at my apartment for four (4) hours on Wednesday, January 9, 2002 for a technician to install my telephone service. I made this agreement without grievances, for I was attempting to be understanding of Verizon’s current state of affairs and business procedures. I willingly gave Verizon four hours of my time so as to have a telephone line installed in my apartment. In despair, I write you on January 11, 2002, still without telephone service.

Graciously, I have a boss who is sympathetic and allowed me to take off a half day of work on that Wednesday to wait for Verizon to install my telephone service. For five hours, from 12:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m., I patiently waited at my apartment, fulfilling more than my obligation. However, Verizon never came. No technician ever buzzed my apartment or knocked on my door. And it is because of Verizon’s neglect, four hours of my life lay wasted.

It is not my intention for you to feel lectured on the value of time, for I imagine as a corporation, time is of utmost importance to you as well. Every second that a technician is behind the wheel of a Verizon vehicle, you are paying him/her what you believe his/her seconds to be worth, as according to his/her skill set in accomplishing tasks for you. Yes, you understand the monetary value of time; however, it is for this reason that I am hurt and disappointed in your complete disregard in the value of MY time. To what monetary value does Verizon assign my time? What is one second of my life worth to you? One hour? Four hours? How about a year?

The time in every life is priceless. The time during a human’s life is immeasurable in its value. Isn’t that something you recognized after September 11th? I did.

Therefore, I must ask you, do you realize that your customers are rearranging their lives in order to help you accomplish what you say you will provide them? Do you understand that we are much more than mere digits and addresses? Do you attempt to sympathize with your customers on how your corporation is affecting each and every one of us daily? You have demonstrated that you do not value your customer’s time. Do you value your customers’ lives?

Respectfully I urge you, stop sleeping, wake up, and notice your affect.

Sincerely,


Chad Gurley
Verizon Customer