Friday, June 14, 2002

FLIGHT : Poet and didn't know it

Sent: 6/14/2002 6:20 PM


it's a wonder to me
no one seems to understand
it's confusing to me
everyone interprets differently
it's enlightening to me

=)

I have been enlightened to realize that no matter what I write, no matter what words you read here, there will be at least one person that will interpret what I say differently than the way I meant it. It has proved a given, and I would think rightly so, for how could any of you really be in my head, to know the intention and inflection of my written words. Nevertheless, I could find it a stumbling block in saying what I say truthfully. There is the desire in me to make my verse so all-emcompassing that not one person in the world could misinterpret what I write. But is that really achievable? And at what point do I start compromising myself in doing so?

I am giving poetry a little go, as you might have seen from "beginnings". Poetry. Yikes! The first poems I ever wrote were in a creative writing class in college. I'm afraid they were quite lite and lyrical and dark in their ignorance. No, I didn't really give it a true 'go' back then. Honestly, I thought poetry in the modern era was beginning to decline, and I didn't think it would be something worth perfecting. Yes, I'm awful.

But after September 11th, when I wrote, "the new american" for a writing class I was taking at Columbia, I found a wonderous new fervor for poetic verse. And because of that, I'm going to try to spend a little more time being a poet, as well as a writer. A true 22nd century poet/writer? Who can say just now?

Only God knows if The American Renissance is at hand. =)