Wednesday, July 18, 2001

BEGINNINGS : My hair & God

Sent: 7/18/2001 2:38 PM

At lunch I walked over to St. John's The Divine, a cathedral that isn't far from Columbia. It stands, unfinished, one of the largest cathedrals in North America. Episcopalian, it houses an impressive collection of religious art. As I walked towards it, after finishing a calzone at Familga Pizza, I noticed how run-down it looked. Its stones turning black, weathered by not only the natural elements but also the pollution of the city.

Upon entering the cathedral, I removed my cap (thought wearing it would avoid a bad day due to bad hair today) only to show even worse hair than yesterday. Alas, God didn't care what my hair looked like, or if he did, he could make a mental note to do something about Chad's hair ASAP. I wandered to the center of the cathedral. It was beautiful. The lack of upkeep on the outside was certainly made edible by the care the inside was given. I said a little prayer, something that I find myself not doing enough, and walked around looking at some of the artwork.

Now some of you are going to moan at the cheesiness of this, but it made me feel a lot better to know that no matter how old, torn, or tattered I get on the outside, I will always have the ability to keep-up the inside. Maybe that should be my summer resolution. As long as light is coming through the stainglass windows, I should make sure that the floors have been buffed and shined