Tuesday, July 31, 2001

BEGINNINGS : My Next Door Sexghbor

Sent: 7/31/2001 12:45 PM

I don't know about you, but it makes me kind of uncomfortable hearing people having sex in the next room. Oh, don't get me wrong, I don't mind at all. In fact, I think more people should have sex. It's just I get this feeling of, "How can I keep from listening to this?" I feel so intrusive, for some reason.

When I lived in Chelsea, I lived next door to a girl named Jennifer. She was subletting from Paul, a dancer who took frequent trips to Germany and such. Well, Jennifer was quite the little lover. She was quite the LOUD little lover. For some time, I thought she must have been a prostitute. I couldn't imagine that she wasn't making any money from her performance. And performance is exactly what it was. Her shudders and squeals were almost perfectly timed with such intense volume, that she just had to have been playing to the back of the house (as I used to hear when I was acting). And, since there was no applause following, I assumed she must have been accepting cash.

But the more frequently it happened, the more I wondered if she really was performing. Was there anyone with her at all during these moments of ecstasy? I found a new respect for her. If she wasn't performing and those moans and hollers were genuine, then she must have really known herself, so to speak.

After one instance, I heard her clatter around in the kitchen and then go to the door to leave. I jumped up and ran to my peep-hole. Now, I would know exactly who, if anyone, she was dancing with. As I looked through, a man appeared at her doorway. He was young, probably in his mid-twenties, short, with a wide smile, looking very satisfied and relaxed. Jennifer followed just after. I studied her face as she locked the door. She didn't look quite as satisfied and relaxed as her beau, but there was a pleasant look in her smile just the same.

I shut the peep-hole. All questions seemed answered. No, Jennifer was not a prostitute; however, yes, Jennifer was performing. No, Jennifer didn't know herself as well as I had thought, but, yes, she did know how to show someone a good time. No, Jennifer was not having an orgasm; however, yes, her friend was.

There were none of these questions last night as I tried to go to sleep while occasionally hearing a moan or two from the other room, mostly because I found the answer in cranking up the radio and letting my music drown out any queries.