Friday, July 13, 2001

BEGINNINGS : What to say, what to say?

BEGINNINGS : What to say, what to say?

Sent: 7/13/2001 12:00 AM

Officially, on Monday, I become a Columbia University full-time employee. Excitement is in the air. Benefits, vacation, sick time, personal days, they are all going to be mine on Monday. Say a prayer for me.

I have sat and pondered what to write all day today. Sitting in the office, going to lunch, taking a psychology test to make five buck$, everywhere, all the time, I have been intensely watching things around me looking for inspiration for today's journal entry. Where was it?

I didn't find it until I got home, straightened the apartment, changed out of my work clothes and into some khakis and a t-shirt. I still hadn’t found it as I poured a glass of water, climbed out of the window and up the fire escape to the roof. It jumped from its hiding place right when I saw the sky. Blue. So very, very blue. A clear blue sky with the sun setting over city. An empty blue blanket full of feathered pillows. It was amazing.

It has been a long time since I’ve stared up at the sky trying to determine what each cloud looked like. The first one looked like a video game cartoon, you know, one of the ones that runs straight ahead grabbing gold coins and smashing evil thingys with its hammer. Then, weirdly, he kinda transformed into an evil dragon. The white spews of clouds at the end of his mouth formed the smoke he blew from his nose. I could only imagine what the flame must have looked like just moments before. Then a kitten whose ears laid down like a puppies. Off to the left there was a nun running after a toaster oven that was obviously on fire. She then cartwheeled into a prince, his long sword was out-stretched in defense against the blob of marshmellow which had been plopped before him. Incredible transformations were going on in the sky, and I was witnessing them all . . . . and I finally found the thing I wanted to write about.

So, I guess all that worry earlier today was for naught. :o)