Monday, July 23, 2001

BEGINNINGS : Weekend Update

Sent: 7/22/2001 11:02 PM

What a weekend. I'm exhausted. On Friday, Nez and I hung out and had a wonderful time, just hanging out, talking, shooting the shxt. It was fun. Then on Saturday, Leon, Nez, J.J. and I went to Mount Laurel Lodge where Leon was guaranteed free airline tickets upon completing a tour of the lodge, introducing him to the timeshare they were selling. Then we went down by a little river and had lunch.

I waded out into the river, my pants rolled above my knees, my toes grasping at the slippery rocks. It was beautiful, peaceful. It made me realize what I really want out of life, simplicity. A quiet night on a porch swing. Catching fireflies with my children in the front yard. Fishing all day in silence. Someday, I hope. Someday.

And that's all I have to say today. This weekend opened my eyes in a lot of ways to what I want and what I have to do to get it. First and foremost, I have to leave New York. That may still be some time away, but I know that I won't find what I'm looking for in the ruins of this city. What I'm looking for is free. In New York, everything is for sale.