Wednesday, July 25, 2001

BEGINNINGS : Summer City Heat

Sent: 7/25/2001 11:08 AM

It's SO hot in New York. You just can't possibly understand. Okay, maybe you can, but still, it is SO HUMID and HOT, I might as well be swimming when I step outside the comfort of my air-conditioned office/home. Ugh.

And it has all New Yorkers grumpy and irritable and quite stinky. I believe some New Yorkers have decided, why shower when I am just going to get even more sweaty tomorrow. They walk around with their shirts off or open, sweat dripping from their bodies, their formerly white underwear emerging from the top of their damp jeans now yellow with grime. The air around them becomes its own mass of grossness.

Then there are other New Yorkers who become even more neurotic about being clean. They walk around with handkerchiefs in hand continually wiping sweat from their brows. Taking extreme measures, they avoid any germs that might be hovering around them in the thick air. Like a woman on the subway this morning pulling out a handi-wipe and basically rubbing down her seat before she sat down. I guessed she was trying to remove any sweat that might have lingered on the seat from a prior passenger. Summer City Heat. It's not pretty.

It also seems to be causing people to be a little bold with their horniness. Like this guy on the bus this morning telling the girl sitting across from him that she was extremely attractive and that he would like to make her a "superstar". Oh, by the way, I should preface that by saying that this man was no Hollywood producer. Far from it. In fact, I'm guessing he worked at the deli which was across from the bus stop where he finally creeped off the bus. The girl, of course, rudely gave him a thing or two to think about while he's mixing biscuit batter this morning.

I for one am so glad that I'm single. I get my whole bed and air-conditioner to myself. If I get hot, I throw off the covers and spread my arms and legs across the entire bed. Cool, almost cold, breezes from the little humming machine in my window skip and jump across my body. So nice.

SOOOO - No suitors until the summer heat passes please.